Kentucky by Heart: Diverse sampling of stories best illustrate, explain life in the Blue Grass state
By Steve Flairty KyForward columnist In last week’s Kentucky by Heart, I shared a virtual tour of Kentucky via the books I have on the shelves in The Kentucky Room, which is another name for my personal writing room at my home in Versailles. My focus was on some noted authors from the state, and for...
This is the second of a two-part series on recently-published nonfiction books. Spring is still more than a month away and it’s likely there is still some cold weather in our future. Here are a few...
By Sandra Guile Special to KyForward The constant reporting of scams from all angles – phone, email, online, and in person – can make a person nervous to accept anything at face value. Even...
By Keith Taylor KyForward Senior Sports Writer Going into the sunset of his collegiate career, Dominique Hawkins has never felt more comfortable in a Kentucky uniform. “(My confidence level) is probably...
Subscribe to Business
By Sandra Guile Special to KyForward The constant reporting of scams from all angles – phone, email, online, and in person – can make a person...
- More »
- Four Roses Bourbon, Derby Festival partner to sponsor 14th annual Rose Julep contest March 2
- Bluegrass & Backroads: A visit to historic and beautiful Keeneland is always a safe bet
- Murray State's Town & Gown Program contributes $25,000 to building to attract future industry
- LG&E, KU earn EPRI Technology awards for electric vehicle charging stations, Brown Solar
- Keven Moore: Threat of vehicle-ramming attacks could take place anywhere -- always be alert
Subscribe to Government
Gov. Matt Bevin has joined with 25 other states in filing an amicus brief in Peruta v. San Diego County, an important Second Amendment case challenging...
- More »
- Anderson, Graves counties earn certification as Kentucky Work Ready Communities, Heiner says
- Kentucky Infrastructure Authority names McNeil as its new executive director
- Governor selects 21 recreational trails projects to receive federal development, maintenance funds
- Fentanyl crackdown bill clears House committee; Senate passes smoke free schools measure
- Kentucky shatters export record in 2016 with aerospace, motor vehicles, pharmaceuticals leading
Subscribe to Health
Study analysis of hospital safety estimates more than 200,000 preventable facility-related deaths each yearAn analysis of two well-controlled studies estimates that the number of preventable hospital-associated deaths are over 200,000 each year, argues a commentary...
- More »
- SmartHealthToday: How much caffeine is too much? Some ideas to help you evaluate your habit
- Rural Blog: Repealing Medicaid expansion provision of ACA could leave more rural hospitals at risk
- Kentucky Health Issues Poll: Health insurance still uncertain for two in 10 state adults age 18-64
- Lester Walters' heart was 'broken,' so UK HealthCare doctors gave him an artificial replacement
- SmartHealthToday: Happy Valentine's Day -- here are some tips on showing how much you really care
Subscribe to Philanthropy
The University of Kentucky will celebrate Engineers Day, or E-Day, a celebration of everything engineering has to offer, from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday, Feb....
- More »
- Kentucky State Police raffling Jeep Wrangler to support Trooper Island Camp for children
- UK College of Law, United Way of the Bluegrass again providing free tax preparation starting Feb. 20
- American Red Cross urges celebration of Red Cross Month by donating blood in March
- State Association of Nonprofits presents annual advocacy awards to members, legislators
- Robsham Stables, Mike Repole to sponsor barn for New Vocations at Merworth Farm
Subscribe to Education
Acclaimed Israeli author and peace activist David Grossman will speak at the University of Louisville March 7. His free, public talk — “An Evening...
- More »
- UK Opera Theatre season takes comedic turn with performances of Rossini's Barber of Seville
- Best-selling author Dyson set to address 44th annual UofL Conference on the Black Family
- UK Martin School of Public Policy holding open house Wednesday for prospective graduate students
- EKU senior from Berea among 15 students nationally to receive NAPSLO internship
- Ferguson named vice president for advancement, grants, alumni affairs for KCTCS
Subscribe to Sports
By Keith Taylor KyForward Senior Sports Writer Going into the sunset of his collegiate career, Dominique Hawkins has never felt more comfortable in a Kentucky...
- More »
- Trade between Kings, Pelicans will place former Wildcats Cousins, Davis in same frontcourt
- Longtime Lexington Legends pitching coach, EKU star hurler Charley Taylor dies after cancer battle
- Wildcat women ring up fourth straight SEC win, top Florida in annual Play4Kay Pink Game
- Louisville holds off Virginia Tech in wild one to post 1,800th victory in program's 103 seasons
- Keith Taylor: Fox, Cats get tough down the stretch to overcome gritty Bulldogs
Subscribe to News
The Kentucky Main Street Program (KYMS) announced that 39 participating communities reported cumulative investment of $109,741,515 in their commercial...
- More »
- Kentucky's Medicaid expansion covered 78 percent of five preventive health screenings last year
- State Senate approves sweeping education reform bill; measure moves to House for consideration
- Lexington's Bluegrass Distillers added as stop on Kentucky Bourbon Trail Craft Tours
- Together Lexington joins with EKU Facilitation Center to support Courageous Conversations program
- People in the News: KCTCS's Shreffler named to board; Fitzpatrick joins Blue Grass Community Foundation
Subscribe to Region/State
Kentucky by Heart: Diverse sampling of stories best illustrate, explain life in the Blue Grass stateBy Steve Flairty KyForward columnist In last week’s Kentucky by Heart, I shared a virtual tour of Kentucky via the books I have on the shelves in The...
- More »
- Legislative Update: Measures addressing heroin, illegal opioids highlight week of action
- Gayle Pille: No shortage of squirrels in Kentucky -- where there are trees, there are squirrels
- KYCIR: Amid uncertainty, University of Louisville leaders cashed out big perks in 'run on the bank'
- Milder than usual winter temperatures could affect tall fescue toxicosis in broodmares
- Volunteers sought in 37 Kentucky counties to review cases of children in foster care
Subscribe to Living
This is the second of a two-part series on recently-published nonfiction books. Spring is still more than a month away and it’s likely there is still...
- More »
- Award-winning actress Viola Davis will headline Speak Blue event at Singletary Center on March 2
- Daily Yonder: Foreman exam included an unexpected hurdle -- a high speed trip over mountain roads
- Campbellsville University to host Transylvania pianist Greg Partain on Feb. 23 for Beethoven performance
- Your Kentucky Home: Tips on the best ways to warm up your bedroom
- Chef Foster: Never underestimate the importance of good prep work for excellent results in the kitchen
Subscribe to Opinion
Melody Brooks is overwhelmed by snowflakes. She is not, however, referring to the derogatory term for young people who are too emotionally vulnerable to...
- More »
- Commentary: AARP Kentucky fighting to protect Medicare from increased cost, risk
- Commentary: Congress, White House working together to bring relief to coal country
- Commentary: During Valentine's Day week, how about showing some love for our public schools?
- Bill Straub: Focusing on results and not the theatrics, McConnell thinks Trump is doing just fine
- Commentary: Time is now for Brent Spence Bridge as public-private partnerships offer funding options